Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

If You Want to Change, Burn the Boat

That title probably doesn't make much sense, but that is what I took away from Oprah Winfrey's interview with world famous life coach Anthony Robbins on her show "Oprah's Next Chapter".

I first became aware of Anthony "Tony" Robbins back when I was in high school and I read his bestselling self-help book "Awaken the Giant Within". I remember being so in awe of the concepts presented in his book. The idea of taking control of my life, and being better than I ever was prior to reading the book was astounding to me.

Fastforward to the present and here I am, still needing to improve upon things in my life. I still have many goals that have yet to be accomplished. While watching the interview between Robbins and Oprah I was struck by his saying, "If you want to take the island you have to burn the boat." He went on to explain that that means if you really want to change something, you have to take action and turning back can not be an option.

Have you ever started working towards a goal only to turn back when things got tough, or your motivation waned? I know that I have. 

Lately I've been working on a new goal, and I've been telling myself "burn the boat" over and over again, to remind myself that turning back is not an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment