Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Forget Regret Or Life Is Yours To Miss

Anyone who knows anything about me, knows that RENT is one of my all- time favorite broadway musicals.
The musical which is all about living your dreams, living for the present moment, and measuring your life in love has inspired me for more than a decade now.

As I listen to the soundtrack now, I'm struck by the line "Forget Regret or Life is Yours to Miss" from the song Life Support.  We all have things in our lives that maybe we regret, or wish would have happened differently. How many of you, however, live from a place of regret? Do you ask yourself questions like, why did I do that? Why didn't this happen for me like I wanted it to? What would have happened if?

I admit I've found myself doing this on more than one occassion and have had to remind myself that these were fruitless questions. Nothing at all can be done about the past. It's done and over with so why put your energy there?

Last week on the hit show Grey's Anatomy they had an episode called "What If" in which we saw what life would have been like if things like a parent dying or someone not having the mentor they needed never happened. It was an interesting episode and it ended with the idea that somethings are just meant to be.
The episode, however, did lead me to thinking about all of my "what ifs." For me  that kind of thinking is never a good thing.

What regrets haven't you let go of yet? As the song says if you don't let go of those regrets from the past, you ended missing out on the life you still have left. No you may not have completed school when you were 18, but you can do it now. No you may not have invested wisely, or gone after the dream job while you were young, but you can do it now.

Don't miss out on another moment of your life because you are stuck living in the past.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
Maya Angelou


No comments:

Post a Comment