Sometimes life deals us a rough deck of cards. Everything and everyone seem to be finding ways to tell us that we aren’t good enough for a certain job, that we’ll never amount to anything worthwhile, and that we’re generally just unlucky in life. But even when you’re dealt the worst of cards it doesn’t mean you’re bound to follow that path. Even when society is holding you back you can still succeed. You just need to use these tips as motivation to make it happen:
1. Believe in yourself – This is arguably one of the hardest things to do. We can be our own biggest deterrents when it comes to changing our paths in life, and the first step forward is done when we actually believe that we can do something. After all, if you don’t believe in yourself you’re never going to convince anyone else to believe in you.
2. Find any opportunity to pursue what you love – Maybe you’re trying to change careers, start your own business, or change your lifestyle… whatever the case it is never too late to start getting involved and pursuing your dream. You can do this by taking an online course about a particular subject matter, getting a part-time job in your desired field, freelancing to get your feet wet, or volunteering with a particular organization… the options are endless but you’re never going to get anywhere if you don’t find a way to get involved!
3. Embrace failure, but don’t accept it – Some people try once, fail, and then give up under the pretense of “well, I tried”… but trying once is just that – it’s only one time. Instead learn from your failure, pinpoint what went wrong, and fix it so that the next time you find success in its place. No one ever succeeded by accepting failure… but almost everyone has succeeded by embracing it.
4. Don’t take no for an answer – Be persistent. You will get doors slammed in your face (figuratively speaking… though depending on what you are trying to do maybe literally as well!) but you can’t let that hold you back. Like failure, you can’t just accept when someone says “no”. Keep trying and moving forward. Eventually you will find someone that opens the door and says welcomes you in.
5. Commit to the cause – You can’t halfheartedly pursue something and expect to succeed. You have to wholeheartedly commit to what you want and fight everything and everyone trying to hold you back. Your undying commitment will see you through until the end, and it’s what is going to gain the respect of others.
Our paths are not predetermined for us. At any given moment we can change who we are and become who we want to be, no matter what the world may be saying to the contrary. It is our own self-acceptance and perseverance that will get us to the finish line – you just can’t ever give up!
Jenny Ellis is a freelance writer, and a regular contributor for aupair jobs. She welcomes your comments at: ellisjenny728 @ gmail.com.