Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Career Advice From Female VIPs




I have a confession to make...I am obsessed with women business owners. There is something so fascinating to me about a woman who owns and operates her own successful business. I love reading about these successful women because they make me feel like my goals are not ridiculous, but actually attainable.

When it comes to going from the job I have to the career I desire to have, however, I have  a lot to learn. Who better to learn from than women who are at the top of their game?

Self magazine featured 7 women business owners in Secrets to Landing Your Dream Job. In the piece each woman gives her advice for career success.

One of my favorite pieces of advice comes from Rosie Pope founder of Rosie Pope Maternity. She says that a person needs to be able to "scrap your plan" if need be. Sometimes your initial goal or idea doesn't work out, you can either quit or rethink your plan. Pope rethought her plan and now her business is booming.

Another bit of advice that stuck out to me came from Spanx founder Sara Blakely. Blakely advises business owners to "risk some major blushing."  You have to not be embarrassed to put yourself out there, in Blakely's case literally, in order to be successful. According to Blakely you can't be afraid to use yourself and your experiences to go far and stand out from the crowd.

I found the advice in this piece to be helpful and will find ways to implement each tip into my career plans. Check out the rest of the 7 VIP tips to get the career you really want.

No comments:

Post a Comment