Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Begin Boldly


Pick an actor...any actor who is successful in his career, but  is actually not that great at acting. Got that image in your mind? Now imagine that actor never attempted to follow his dreams because he felt like he wasn't good enough. Where would he be now?
One day I decided to read a book written by a world famous author. I was ready to dive into the book and learn. I wanted to learn what made this writer's writing so good that she's sold millions of books in many different languages. What I found on the pages, however, was writing that broke every rule a new writer learns in Creative Writing 101. I was shocked! This writer's books are loved all of the world, and yet the writing isn't actually good.
What if this writer never submitted her first manuscript to a publisher because she thought she couldn't write as prolifically as Toni Morrison? Where would that writer be? What would her career look like today?
I admit to being hard on myself. I never think I'm ready to launch out and go after what I want. Always thinking that I need to know more, be more, have more, and I end up holding myself back.
"Start before you're ready." -Steven Pressfield
There's this notion that every person who does something great is confident, fearless, and perfect. What if they actually are afraid, but they go for it anyway? What if they know they aren't the best but they go for their dreams because they know they have something to offer?
"Every professional was once an amateur.  Every expert was once a beginner." Unknown
It's okay to not know everything...you learn as you go. Whatever you want to do, change careers, start a business, go back to school, get healthy, or complete a creative project, go for it!
There is no benefit to sitting on your goals and dreams.  You never know, the outcome just might be great!
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -W.H. Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment