Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Under Pressure

We all know what pressure is. Pressure from family, friends, our jobs, even ourselves can cause us to fail at any goals we undertake.

Sometimes family members think putting you down is the best way to make you angry enough to change a bad habit. Having people close to you criticize you may not be helpful at all. Instead it may cause you to give up on your desired outcomes altogether.

There are, however, some ways that pressure can be good for you.

It is important to know which kind of pressure inspires you and which kind hinders you.

Deadlines: For me, I work best when I have a specific date and/or time when something must be completed. Whether I'm taking a college course or must turn in my latest article to an editor, having a deadline inspires me to get my work done.

Accountability: Having to allow others to view my work, makes me work that much harder to ensure that it is as near perfect as possible. Anyone seeing my work as half-done, or lazy is embarrassing to me. Just knowing that someone else will see and judge my work motivates me.

Growth: "If you're the smartest one in the room, you're in the wrong room." Richard Tirendi.

This quote fully illustrates the type of pressure that motivates me most. I love to be surrounded by, and held to the same standard as people who are smarter and more experienced than I am. It forces me to stretch and learn in ways I could not have imagined.

It is important to recognize when the pressure you feel is positive, and utilize it.

Leverage positive pressure to achieve your goals in 2014!

What kind of pressure motivates you?

No comments:

Post a Comment