Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Why We All Need Mentors

I wrote an article a few months ago for Monster College about the importance of finding a mentor.
My own mentor, Deesha Philyaw co-author of the forthcoming book, Co-parenting 101: Advice from a Formerly Married Couple on Parenting Across Two Households, reminded me yet again why having a mentor is so important.

After receiving a ton of rejections for a certain piece of writing I decided that it was time to ask for some help. I admit I'm not very good at asking people for help. A mentor, however, is someone who can help you to figure out areas where you are going wrong. Deesha was able to see several areas where I could improve that piece of writing. Her feedback was so valuable, and now I have direction!

No matter what industry you aspire to work in, or how many degrees you may have, learning never stops. We all have areas where we could improve. A mentor is the perfect person to show you the missing links. Whether you are in school or not, finding a mentor is important for your growth.

Check out my article for some good places to find a mentor, and if you can think of more places please leave them in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment