There is so much pain and sadness in the world. There just is. From starving children, to terminal illnesses, from rape and murder, to the victim blaming of raped and murdered people. It is enough to make a person sick.
It is hard to watch humans see other humans as anything other than human. It is hard to wrap my brain around the idea of hating someone because of the color of their skin, their religion, the country they were born in, or their sexual orientation. Why are respect, dignity, freedom, and justice ideas that don't seem to apply to each and every human being?
During times when there seems to be nothing but pain everywhere you look and a sense of hopelessness, it is good to try and show more kindness to others.
Here are some ways you can reach out and help others in need, right now.
- Addie Fausett is a six-year-old little girl who is dying. This year her wish is to receive Christmas cards. You can send a card and spread some cheer to this young girl and her family during this tough time. Send cards to: P.O. Box 162, Fountain Green, UT 84632
- The Salvation Army has started their red kettle campaign for the holiday season. Take a look at the site to see how your donations can help the lives of others. Also, while you are out shopping be sure to donate when you see the kettles at the stores.
- God's Love We Deliver is an organization that was brought to national attention by the late Joan Rivers. This organization delivers healthy meals to people who are terminally ill and unable to cook for themselves.
- The American Red Cross has a holiday catalog you can shop from to help people in need. Not only that, you can donate blood, or money all year round.
- Mid-Ohio Foodbank provides food for families who would otherwise starve. Every day in this country children go to bed hungry. You can donate either to this food bank, or one in your city.
- Make-A-Wish Foundation grants wishes to terminally ill children. Check out the site to see how you can help.
There are many ways you can help people in the world, and in your community. Foster kids need Christmas gifts, someone else needs help paying for medical bills, another person needs a place to live. There is no shortage of needs to be met in this world.
Please look for ways you can show how much you care today. Namaste.