Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

5 Ways to Get Out of a Rut


Lately I've been in a major rut. It seems to have lasted for a few weeks now, maybe even over a month. I have been lacking motivation concerning my career goals. After receiving several rejections in various forms, I seem to have lost the will to try.

 I do not like the way it feels when I am in a rut.  I tend to feel low in energy and in spirit. Never one to give up, I went on a search for advice. How do I get out of this rut?  It was surprising to find that some tips I found, I was already doing. So here are my tips for getting out of a rut.


1. Free Yourself-- Don't set deadlines (for a little while anyway).  Do you know that feeling you get on a Saturday, or on your first day of vacation from work? That feeling that you are free and you don't have to be anywhere at a certain time, or answer to anyone--give this to yourself regarding your goals.

I stopped requiring myself to submit my work anywhere these past few weeks. Instead I've done a ton of reading, and listened to motivational books in my car. This gave me a chance to just take a breather, and get my mind together and my courage up.

2. Encourage yourself-- Don't berate yourself no  matter how short you feel you have fallen of your goals.  Beating yourself up for what you aren't doing, never helps anything.
Instead think of the things you have done well. Even if it's something as small as reading an article related to your goals, or making a telephone call. It all counts. Sometimes when you think negatively about yourself, it makes attempting to reach a goal that much harder, if not impossible.

3. Talk it out-- I've found that it really helps to talk about what I am feeling concerning my goals. Sometimes just being able to discuss the pros and cons of a decision, or a place where I am stuck helps. Find  a friend, colleague or mentor who is able to steer you in a positive direction, and talk it out.

4. Take action-- It's not good to stay stuck in a rut for too long. One sure fire way to get out of the rut is to take action. You have to do something different than what you are used to doing. Even if the action you take seems completely unrelated to your goals, just the act of trying something new can help to clear your mind.

5. Don't give up-- No matter what, giving up is not an option. Sometimes you may have to change directions or strategies, but do not under any circumstances quit. Quitting is the only way to truly fail.

2 comments:

  1. NICE, GOOD ADVICE IS ALWAYS HELPFUL
    SHANA D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shana. I try to find good advice wherever I can, and pass it on.

    K~

    ReplyDelete